Select Equity Group was founded in 1990 on the premise that rigorous, independent research and disciplined, long-term investing will generate superior returns for our clients. Today, the Firm has over $30 billion in assets across long-only and long/short strategies utilizing a team-based approach and centralized research effort. Our global client base includes endowments, foundations, public and private pensions, private banks, family offices and high-net-worth individuals. Our more than 170 employees possess diversity of thought, experiences and backgrounds and share a commitment to our Core Principles (below). Our employees thrive in a collaborative environment that empowers them to apply curiosity, creativity and continuous improvement in pursuit of differentiated excellence for our clients.
Commitment to Giving Back: The Select Equity Group Foundation, established in 2000, makes a positive impact by actively engaging all employees in identifying and supporting charitable organizations of excellence.
Location: Select Equity Group’s corporate office is based in New York City.
The Data Insights Analyst is responsible for providing data driven insights in response to a variety of investment questions. This position reports to the Head of Data and Analytics and is part of a growing data team with responsibilities spanning from data sourcing and processing, to analytics.
In addition to providing insights on a tactical level, the Data Insights Analyst will help build bespoke machine learning models to enable processing (e.g., sentiment analysis, product classification) and prediction at scale. There will also be close collaboration with an established Field Research team that primarily focuses on qualitative research.
The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial self-starter who is passionate about continuous learning in a rapidly evolving data analytics space. Extreme intellectual curiosity and attention to detail, while being comfortable and flexible in a growing organization, are essential.
- Acquiring high quality data: identifying potential data vendors and/ or spearheading custom in-house alt-data acquisition (e.g., data from survey/ crowdsourcing); backtesting data against groundtruth; understanding methodology and limitations of data collection; developing custom solutions collaboratively with vendors; liaising with internal Legal and Compliance functions; project managing trial and onboarding processes; manual small-scale data gathering (e.g., country-specific demographics data); cleaning data (anomaly checks/ entity mapping) either independently or with external vendors
- Managing relationship with investment analysts: proactively identifying where data may add value to investment theses; brainstorming creative approaches for tactical investigations; showcasing new data sources and use cases; advocating a data-driven culture throughout the organization
- Delivering bespoke insights: conceptualizing framework for investigation; cleaning and augmenting data with custom features to facilitate analyses; refining analyses based on iterative feedback; developing and maintaining reports and interactive Tableau dashboards; ensuring the data and analysis on Tableau dashboards are current; crystalizing the “so-whats” of analyses; challenging investment analysts in their assumptions
- Leading strategic capability development: continuous researching of new tools and processes to increase team’s efficiency and capabilities; collaborating with Field Research team to identify synergies; conducting post-project and regular retrospectives to propose improvements; developing bespoke tools or domain-specific models; coding surveys on platforms such as SurveyGizmo; testing surveys before launch; liaising with vendors to ensure high quality execution (e.g., checking representativeness, response quality)
- Managing project flow for Data team: maintaining pipeline of data due-diligence projects to assist with prioritization, tracking and reporting
- Data library: maintaining a catalog of current and potential data sources, together with associated meta-data, to facilitate discovery across the firm
- Tracking data and system costs: working with Finance team to keep track of variable (project based) and fixed costs for the Data effort
- Translation support: working with external agencies to translate surveys and other data assets
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.6 GPA
- Entrepreneurial track record, either from founding or being a member of a founding team
- Highly numeric and detail oriented, as well as skilled at creative problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Track record of continuous learning
- Demonstrated passion for data, although past experience not required
- Highest degree of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality
- Major plus, but not required:
- Previous experience with surveys, from questionnaire development to analysis and reporting
- Previous experience with big data preparation (e.g., Alteryx) and visualization (e.g., Tableau) tools
- Programming experience, esp. Python
- Proficiency in Spanish or Mandarin
- Fit with Select Equity’s Core Principles (below)
- Originality: We generate our own ideas and never deploy common practice without skepticism. We strive to avoid the herd.
- Innate Curiosity: There are no dumb questions. We challenge universally accepted beliefs and seek new angles of understanding.
- Charity: We recognize our good fortune and give back to society in meaningful and thoughtful ways.
- Continuous Improvement: We always strive to improve our performance and measure ourselves absolutely, not relatively.
- Humility: We seek no acclaim individually or as a Firm other than earning the gratitude of our clients.
- Teamwork: We trust our colleagues and communicate with transparency and respect. Ours is a culture of giving credit, not seeking credit.
Select Equity Group, L.P. requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation.